Friday, March 22, 2019

Peanut Butter Isn't Just For Jelly

The peanut butter sandwich has been around forever. From from what I can tell, it has long been an American tradition. And since March is National Peanut Month...

Believe it or not, peanut butter was once a delicacy in the United States, and fresh vegetables were very much a part of the sampling. In the early 1900s, peanut butter could be enjoyed at elegant New York City tearooms, where it was often served on crackers with pimentos, nasturtium, cheese, and fresh celery and watercress.

The creation of peanut butter itself dates back to 1896, when Good Housekeeping (a popular magazine at the time) suggested that women grind their peanuts into a spread and use on bread. Later that year, another magazine, Table Talk, published a recipe for the peanut butter sandwich. Few though enjoyed these sandwiches, as peanut butter was mostly a delicacy of the privileged and rich.

It wasn't until the late 1920s that peanut butter became affordable and more available to the general public. It was only a matter of time before it became a kitchen staple, helped by the fact that children loved peanut butter and jelly. During WWII, the peanut butter and jelly sandwich was even added to U.S. military rations. Peanut butter had come a long way from the tearooms of New York City.

Today peanuts can be purchased in bulk at some grocery stores and ground on site, but most of us buy our peanut butter in the jar. 


So here are some of the sandwiches I have made over the years: Peanut butter and...

- jelly (jam, preserves, marmalade)
- honey
- pickles
- bananas
- potato chips

- brown sugar

Wanting to include more fresh vegetables (and fruits) in my diet, I tried the following:

- Peanut butter and sliced apples
(with peelings) and sliced almonds. (really liked)
- Peanut butter and cucumbers. (liked)
- Peanut butter and left-over salad (without dressing). Hmm.... this was a bit of a stretch.

The salad had leaf lettuce, kale, yellow pepper, broccoli and carrot slaw, dried cranberries and walnuts. (just okay; too messy)

Here are more suggestions:
(note to daughter: no peas! 😏)
 

-zucchini
-green, yellow, and red pepper
-onion
-avocado
- parsley
- grated carrots
- mint
- spinach and other greens
- pineapple slices
- sliced strawberries
- blueberries

- other berries and fruits

And the tearoom list:
- pimento
- nasturtium
- cheese
- celery
- watercress

From online, others have tried:

- raisins
- bacon
- chocolate
- maple syrup
- hazelnut-chocolate spread
- marshmallows

Nuts would be good too. Or... try sprinkling ground chia seeds and flax seeds on your peanut butter for added fiber.


How about you? Do you have a favorite?

 [History Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter_and_jelly_sandwich].

4 comments:

Cathy said...

I could probably like everything mentioned except the pickles. For me, peanut butter and hummus serve a similar function, however I like peanut butter far better. Unfortunately, it also has two or three times the calories. So when I eat peanut butter, I limit myself to about 1 TBSP, whereas with hummus, I can eat 1/3 cup.

Sharon Himsl said...

Hi Cathy. I think 1 TBSP is all you need to enjoy. For some reason, I'm not a fan of hummus, but maybe should try again.

Arlee Bird said...

I do like peanut butter. I usually buy the twin pack of giant jars from Costco. Since I'm usually the only one in my house eating it, that purchase will last me nearly all year. I do like peanut butter on celery. I used to eat it on saltine crackers a lot and still do on occasion. My favorite is PB&J, but peanut butter is good with honey too. Since I've discovered that Aldi has marshmallow creme at a much more reasonable price than other stores, I've recently been having flutter-nutter sandwiches. But PB&J is my favorite and I usually have at least one of these sandwiches each week.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Sharon Himsl said...

Hey Arlee, thanks for commenting. Those twin packs work for me too. I like that chocolate hazelnut spread too with peanut butter when I'm in the mood for something sweet. A homemade Reeses bar :) Hadn't thought of trying marshmallow creme!