Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Gardening in Winter: Not So Boring Plant Propagation




Plant Propagation. Not as boring as it sounds! As snow fell today and thoughts of early spring vanished, I stared at the tiny garden growing on my kitchen window sill. Winter need not be an obstacle to gardening, I thought. My African violet is finally growing after months of waiting. 

The mother plant (a gift from my mother) had nearly died. After a bit of research, I tried generating a new plant from a single leaf (stem 1-1/2 inches long) by placing it in a glass of water to form roots. The procedure is not for the impatient soul, but it works. Roots do eventually form. After the roots form, place the leaf (with roots dangling) in potting soil and keep moist. 

I started the process in September and it was several months before I saw green growth. It may be several months more before yellow flowers appear. Some gardeners place the leaf stem directly in soil, although I prefer rooting in water first. Something about seeing roots form gives me hope. 

Besides the African violet, try plant propagation with these houseplants: peperomia, episcia, hoya and sedum. Methods vary too. For instance, try a “split-vein” method with one of the leaves. Veins are cut on the underside of the leaf, which is then placed (cut side down) on top of soil to root. 

“Leaf-bud cuttings” can be taken too. In this case, each node on the stem is a possible cutting. These short stem pieces can then be planted in soil (½-1 inch deep). Try with trailing vines, for example, philodendron, clematis and grape ivy, also jade and the popular rubber plant. 

“Cane cuttings” with one or two nodes works well for Chinese evergreen, dumbcane, and similar thick-stemmed plants. 

Lastly, try “root cuttings” from woody plants. Simply cut a root section and plant. Try with lilac, sumac, rose, raspberry, and similar. 

Happy Gardening Everyone

“My garden is my most beautiful masterpiece.” (Claude Monet)


3 comments:

Cathy said...

Hi, I was poking around on your blogs yesterday and saw that you have two new ones. Fun! This one makes me long for spring.

Sharon Himsl said...

Hi Cathy. I'm longing for spring too but like having plenty to do inside. Glad you like my new blog. A gardening blog was bound to happen sooner than later :) Hope to see you soon!

Cathy said...

We're tentatively planning a trip over there sometime next week, if it works for you. ;) It's been 3 months since we've seen y'all.