Saturday, March 2, 2019

Fairy Gardens - Playtime in the Garden

A good deal on Garden ornaments at the Dollar store!
Fairy gardens have become quite popular with gardeners. I know of at least one plant nursery that offers lessons, complete with miniature hobbit houses, cute mushroom trees,
and like. I keep thinking I want to do this with my daughter and granddaughter someday. But if you're like me, you may think a scheduled class is too hard to fit in time wise. No worry. You can easily do this on your own when convenient. First, pick a location and think about what you'd like to do. Indoors is easier to manage, but outdoors works too. 

For a great herb garden, fill a large shallow (depth) pot with soil and plant some moss on top (real or fake) to create a green fairyland meadow. Then gather your plants and ornaments. If "hobbitville" isn't your thing, try a more modern setting. Spend anywhere from $1 each at the Dollar store to $15 or more at sophisticated stores, and you will find the perfect collection to suit your personality. Use your imagination and have some fun. Tell a story! 

As I've always wanted a raised kitchen garden, it was only natural for me to go in this direction. After searching some online, I found a nice free-standing garden planter made of cedar that fit in the space perfectly between our back porch and heat pump/air conditioner. Vince offered to put it together. Since I wanted to plant herbs I made sure that the interior finish was food safe. I found an oil to rub in for waterproofing and protection of the wood, and then lined it with food-safe plastic. Holes were drilled in the bottom to drain excess water. I also waterproofed the exterior with appropriate stain and sealer.  


Snow on last year's kitchen garden.  "Waiting for spring"
I've already enjoyed one season. Located next to the back porch, fresh herbs have never been more convenient for those sauces and salads I sometimes make. There is even a small strawberry plant growing. Because the planter is located on the east side of the house next to the driveway, lack of shade was a problem at first. The planter heats up rather fast on hot days. Remembering the driftwood pieces Vince and I had recently collected at the river, the problem was solved by crisscrossing the wood across the planter. It gave instant shade and the perfect habitat for a fairy garden. 

Since I had filled the planter with a lot of plants, I didn't bother adding moss. My one hobbit house and tiny mushroom tree blended right in. By summer's end they were buried some, but I kept pulling them out of the "herbal jungle" and positioning things. The little girl in me enjoyed this so much. Yes, grown women like to play too :)

Interested in creating a fairy garden? Try planting one as an herb garden. It’s not only fun. You’ll have fresh spices to enjoy almost all year long. My sage and lemon thyme have both survived our cold winter. I also grew fennel, chives, Mexican tarragon, cinnamon basil, and Greek oregano. The fennel was perhaps too big for the planter (you live and learn) so I will plant in the ground next time around. 

Underneath the planter I have peppermint growing in a pot in the shade. More peppermint has sprouted from there on its own and is spreading quite well, which I don't mind at all. Spiders like shade but hate peppermint. I'm watching, but it looks like I no longer have to spray for those scary black widows under the porch. 

Imagine instead the savory aroma of herbs greeting you every time you step on the back porch. You can dry them, saute them, add to salads and sauces, and munch on fresh whenever you like. Just think how healthy you and your family will be. My neighbor tells me that fresh sage is delicious sautéed in butter. Oh, it makes my mouth water to think of all the possibilities. 

Happy Gardening Everyone!

"I am more myself in a garden than anywhere else on earth.” (Doug Green) 


No comments: